Wednesday, February 09, 2005

All Is Vanity


All Is Vanity
Originally uploaded by Hannah Owl.

I looked into my mirror and saw
How Beautiful I was.
and I brushed my hair
Just So.

The Skull in my mirror
laughed at me and said,
“Looks are superficial;
Beauty comes from the Heart.”

“I’m Beautiful! I’ve proven it!”

It only asked me how.

I remember I had reached the Top
by clawing and pushing and shoving.
I thought of all the people I’d hurt
just to show how great I was.

The Skull merely warned,
“All is Vanity.”

As the years passed,
I watched myself deteriorate.
I became ugly with age-
inside and out.

No longer was I society’s Butterfly,
but an age'd old woman.
and the Skull began to laugh.

“Now look at yourself. What do you see?
The Truth, my dear, the Truth.”

“I’m still Beautiful!
No…you are right.
Why, Skull, why did I have to live this Hell?”

“You listened not to the warnings
and so you must pay the price.”

“Skull, what are you?’
“You know now.”

and I did. It was Death in all his Glory;
finally He was to take me.

The mirror enveloped me and my reflection.
Suddenly I saw myself at twenty.
The Skull showed the Beauty I’d once known.

Then I realized
the Beauty was in me-
is in me now
and radiating out from me.

Finally I am at Peace.

As I die, I think of the Skull’s words:
All is Vanity


6 Comments:

Blogger Wyrfu said...

Great to see you doing what you really want to. Picture and text fit very well together. Good stuff, Hannah. :)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

The Owl is growing wise. "The wise old owl" even sounds catchy, don't you think? I like the way that sounds, and may use it someday.


That's a creepy picture, and one of my favorites.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

What's this OLD business?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Um, erm, uh...


Hey, Gone! Help. Wy's this site not showing up on SReader the way it's supposed to?

8:09 PM  
Blogger Ned said...

I am having a terrible time with this, I can't decide if I am the skull or the vanity.
In any case I thought a mirror with a skull in it might not be a bad idea, I would look so much better if my reflection was next to that of a skull.
I guess I am the vanity.
I jest, and yet... a very true lesson for all of us, something to consider before we reach the time where the skull lectures us.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has taken me this long to get to your site. Now that I have arrived I regret not getting here earlier. I love your story.

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home