Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Thou Shalt Not

One of the bad things about being an atheist is that this life is all there is. We have no hope for a better life in another world. For me, this means that I have to give what I can now, to make the world a better place for the next generation. To me, this is immortality-- to do something, anything, that will live beyond my mortal life. Somewhere, somehow, I have to make a difference.

Many people of faith either can not or will not accept that atheists do have a morality. They tell me without (their version of) god, I have no reason to exist. Believing their faith to have the only realistic morality, many have asked me why I don't go out and murder someone. I don't understand this point of view. I believe basic morality is the same across the board, for the most part. Of course, each religion has its own views on when thou SHALT kill, but those are semantics (no offense to any soldiers fighting against these semantics). Morality can be summed up in very few words: try not to hurt people (including yourself), and make whatever amends you can when you do anyway. Why does a person HAVE to be christian, or muslim, or whatever, in order to follow these simple rules. I have to admit, I find it offensive to be taken as automatically evil by those who don't even know me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ned said...

I think there are many factors that go into a person's view of morality: upbringing, culture, environment, personality,and sometimes religion. Were Saddam's sons born to torture others as sport or was it the cruelty they witnessed in their father's actions that taught them to be cruel?

I think some might never end up being cruel or amoral regardless of their circumstances and others will be cruel in spite of good circumstances, but overall, it is what we are taught that is what we will ultimately practice.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Actressdancer said...

Ah yes, Ned.. Nurture over Nature. Actually, I was just posting to find out where the heck the rest of Hannah's posts are hiding.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home